Happy Stan’s Eco-friendly Spring Cleaning Tips
Now that winter’s officially over, we have one thing on our minds: spring cleaning! From the dusty attic to the old shoes piling up in the closet, we’re likely not the only ones looking forward to a fresh and sparkling start. Before tackling that seemingly endless list of to-do’s, consider these five tips our team at Happy Stan’s have rounded up to ensure an eco-friendly spring clean.
- DIY Cleaning Products: Have you checked the labels of your cleaning products lately? Don’t be surprised if you find them chock-full of harmful and toxic chemicals that are not only bad for the environment, but bad for you, too! Swap these out for DIY cleaning solutions that include every-day ingredients such as baking soda and olive oil. Not sure where to start? Check out David Suzuki’s green cleaning recipes here.
- Reusable Cloths: Did you know 13 billion pounds of paper towel is used and disposed of each year? Instead of contributing to this alarming number, turn old towels or t-shirts into cleaning rags to tackle this year’s spring clean (and every clean hereafter). Perfect for dusting and scrubbing, they can also be washed and reused.
- Newspaper: Alternatively, if you feel DIY cloths won’t leave your mirrors as streak-free as you’d like, use newspaper to get the job done. Ecorazzi shares a great tip: just spray the glass with 50/50 water/vinegar, rub the glass with a dry cloth and then go over the surface with a piece of newspaper for streak-free, lint-free results.
- Greenery: Add a touch of springtime to your favourite spaces with plants that will continually purify the air. Easy to care for, these include spider plants, English ivy, rubber plants and peace lilies. Since indoor air pollutants have been ranked among the top five environmental risks to public health, this easy solution is one that shouldn’t be forgotten about.
- Donate, Sell, Recycle: Once you’ve decided on which of your possessions you’ll be disposing of, consider whether any can be donated or sold. For those not suitable for reuse, try to recycle what you can. From computers and telephones to furniture and coat hangers, check out what we recycle here.
Have an eco-friendly spring cleaning tip we didn’t mention? Tweet us at @happystans!