The holidays should be about spending time with loved ones and enjoying one another’s company, not about who can spend the most and receive the most presents. That’s why, this week, we’ve decided to focus on entertaining with less waste.
One of the down sides of entertaining is all of the waste that is accumulated with hosting.
Here are some tips to help you waste less while you entertain.
- Plan your menu ahead of time.
- We love to use party food calculators like the ones from REAL SIMPLE and Love Food Hate Waste
- Use local and sustainable ingredients
- Think about how you plan to store leftovers and how to use them after the guests leave. Leftover meats and veggies can be used again in stews and casseroles, and crackers can be crushed for crumbs in meatballs. Even your leftover appetizers can be frozen for next time, if you plan it right.
- Have a plan for discards and how to create the least amount of garbage possible.>
- Have recycling, compost, and garbage containers well labelled and readily available for guests.
- When sending out invitations, use the phone or email.
- Use cloth napkins, cutlery and china. It’s much nicer to use cloth products anyway.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match.
- Ask your guests to bring dishes in reusable containers that they could take some leftovers home in.
- Share ingredients. Sometimes you just need a pinch or part of a package, why not share spices with neighbours.
- Ugly Christmas sweaters aren’t just about embarrassing others and having fun because they are actually good for the environment! You stay warm with less need for heat, usually they are bought second-hand, and they’re upcycled with reusable materials.
With these tips, you can have a successful event with less waste and way more fun!